The international Radio Playwriting Competition is open for submission.
Writers from around the world are invited to submit their scripts at the 28th International Radio Playwriting Competition.
The global competition, hosted by BBC World Service and the British Council, offers the unique opportunity for writers to use the medium of audio drama to tell stories for an international audience.
The last competition in 2019/20 attracted 850 entries from 104 countries, with regional winners coming from Colombia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa and Trinidad and Tobago.
They are looking for entries in two categories: English as a First Language and English as a Second Language. The two first prizes can come from either category.
The closing date for entries is midnight (GMT) on 12 February 2023.
Who is Eligible to Apply for the International Radio Playwriting Competition 2023?
- Entry is only open to anyone who, at 12 February 2023, is over the age of 18 and not considered being a resident of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Channel Islands or Isle of Man (“UK”).
- Professional and previously published writers are eligible to enter, but this is not a requirement of entry. They may require proof of eligibility.
- Writers who are applying, must not be BBC, BBC Group company, or British Council employees, close relatives of such employees or any person connected to the competition. Proof of age, identity and eligibility may be requested.
- Entrants should write a radio play of approximately fifty-three minutes’ length on any subject of their choice.
- They will deem the winning playwrights to have entered an undertaking not to accept offers for their entries from other broadcasters or publishers before 31 March, 2024.
- A minimum of 45 pages of A4 paper (or equivalent) and a maximum of 65 pages (note, a rough guide is a minute per page; please read and time your play before you send it).
- The play should have a maximum of six central characters.
- There must be no central roles for children. Word count approx. 9000-10000 words.
How to Submit:
- The script for your 53-minute radio play with up to six central characters. This should be submitted as a PDF file.
- A written synopsis outlining the complete story of your play. This should be no more than 400 words long, and submitted as a PDF file
- Submit your entry online or download an entry form to enter via post or email.
Prize for the International Radio Playwriting Competition 2023:
Prize: The Cash Prize and the Trip
The Cash Prize: £2,500 sterling (or the equivalent in a local currency at the BBC’s discretion)
The Trip: a trip to London (standard airfare and accommodation for one person).
Both winners will attend an award ceremony in London and see their plays being recorded for broadcast and streaming on BBC World Service. A Special Commendation will be made for the runner-up in honour of the BBC World Service journalist and writer Georgi Markov (1929-1978).
Good-luck! Endeavor to check out other contests you can apply for!