Split Lip Magazine is a voice-driven literary journal with a pop culture twist. They publish online monthly and in print periodically. They accept fiction (flash and short stories), memoir, poetry, art, and photography. They have opened their windows for submission and call on all creatives.
Eligibility for Split Lip Magazine
- Split lip magazine requires no submission fee.
- Submissions are acceptable from all around the world.
- Split Lip Magazine wants to see fresh work that hasn’t been published anywhere before (including your personal blog or website). First-time electronic publication rights are really all they ask for.
- One submission per writer at a time, please. That means if you submit a poem, you can’t also submit flash, etc. You get the picture.
- They accept simultaneous submissions. Yay! But please withdraw your piece immediately if it’s accepted elsewhere.
- Content warnings: If your work deals with sensitive or triggering topics, please identify/note them in your cover letter.
- They don’t accept emailed submissions. You have to use their Submittable
- If you have some edits to make after you’ve submitted: withdraw your submission, update it, and re-submit! They know it’s a headache, but they are a small, all-volunteer team. They only have so many heads to hold everyone else’s aches. Any emails asking them to correct something in a submission will, as much as it pains them to say it, be ignored!
- It’ll take them up to 16 weeks to let you know if you’re in or not.
- If you receive a rejection, please wait at least a month before submitting again.
- Double space your work. Single-spaced poetry is okay, though.
- They vastly prefer .doc and .docx files, although a PDF is okay in a pinch.
- Don’t send them stuff that promotes bigotry and violence.
- The submission window is open until November, 30th, 2022.
Genres they seek
- Memoir – 2000 words: Split lip Magazine loves memoir that shines a new light on the human condition. There are no limitations on subject matter. Maximum 2,000 words.
- Flash Fiction 1000 words: Please send your unpublished short, shorter, shortest fiction under 1,000 words.
- Poetry : Just your very best: Send them one (yes, just one) unpublished poem. Please do not send them more than one poem, fam!
- Fiction: 1000–3000 words : Send them your best unpublished literary, mainstream, or experimental writing between 1,000 and 3,000 words. Profanity, sex and such are permitted but they will not publish anything tickling the boundaries of pornography. As much as they like sci-fi, romance, mystery and adventure. They do not accept genre fiction.
- Interview / Review: Don’t use Submittable for interviews or reviews… They are looking for smart, compelling book reviews and author interviews (or interviews of people in the publishing industry). They are especially interested in giving attention to books from independent presses and authors (or publishing professionals) from historically marginalized groups.
Submit interviews/reviews HERE, not through Submittable.
- Photography + Art: 1 piece, or link your portfolio Please note that art submissions are only open during free submission periods. Send them one high-resolution image or a link to your portfolio. They seek art steeped in memory & awareness. Art that eats donuts & watches cartoons on Saturday mornings. Art that lives next door. Whose parents are immigrants. Art that’s lowbrow. Pop-surreal. Hyperreal. Abstract. Art that reminds one of our humanity. Submit art.
They pay (via PayPal) $75 per author for poems, memoirs, flash, fiction, and art, and $50 for interviews/reviews for their web issues. Payment for print is $5 per page, minimum of $20, plus 2 contributor copies.