Owl Canyon Contest for Essays announces its opening on November 15, 2021. The deadline for Submission is May 31, 2022.
Submission Guidelines for Owl Canyon Contest
- November 15, 2021, Boulder, Colorado…Owl Canyon Press is announcing an open essay competition based on any aspect of the literary masterpiece The Brothers Silver by Marc Jampole.
- The literary piece has been touted by the Adirondack Review, Chicago Review of Books, Jewish Currents, and Modern Literature, among others, for its fearless experimentation of style, verse, and storytelling.
- Finalists will be reviewed by literary novelist and critic David Finkle.
- He will award the winner an honorarium of $5,000.
- An additional honorarium of $1,000 will be awarded to the winner if their essay is published in an eligible publication (see rules for list of eligible publications). All entrants will receive $300 if one of these outlets publishes their work.
“It is rare that a first novel deserves as much attention and study as The Brothers Silver does,” said Eugene Hayworth, publisher of Owl Canyon Press, which selectively publishes approximately six new books a year. “The novel is both a poignant intimate story of a family haunted by mental illness and abuse and a vast panorama of the changes in American society over the past fifty years. Jampole’s experimental approach—he employs ten points of view in twelve chapters including two that rhyme—makes The Brothers Silver an exhilarating read.”
- Final Judge, David Finkle to Award $5,000 to Winning Essay.
- All Essays Submitted Eligible for $300 Honorarium.
- Owl Canyon to Publish Finalists in Anthology.
- Owl Canyon will consider essays emailed to email@example.com before the deadline of May 31, 2022.
- There is no cost to submit a manuscript into the competition. For more information about the contest and complete rules, see www.owlcanyonpress.com/silver.
- All entries will be considered for publication in an upcoming anthology, published by Owl Canyon. There will be ten to fifteen finalist essays published in the compilation in 2023.