The Miles Morland Foundation Scholarship 2019 has opened for submissions. So if you’re an African writer (by origin or naturalization) and you have a fantastic idea for a novel or non-fiction book, please apply. You might win the ₤18,000 award and the support you need to write your ground breaking book. Deadline for applications is 30th September, 2019. A shortlist will be announced in November. The overall winners will be announced in December, 2019.
Who Is Eligible to Apply for The Morland Writing Scholarships For African Writers 2019?
- African Writers
- Writers who have published anything that is currently on sale.
- Writers who have an idea for a full-length book of at least 80,000 words.
If your parents were born in Africa (and you weren’t) or if you were born in Africa (and your passport shows that you were), then here are the other guidelines you must know.
- Only one submission per writer will be considered
- You must provide links to your works that are available for purchasing.
- Submissions must be written in English.
- Poetry, plays, film scripts, children’s books, and short story collections do not qualify. This award is for only adult prose fiction or prose non-fiction..
How To Apply for the Miles Morland scholarships 2019.
- All submissions must be sent via the Miles Morland Scholarship 2019 Application Portal;
- In order to be considered for this award, you must, the following materials must be submitted:
•a proposal (400 – 1,000 words) of the work you intend to write during your scholarship year.
• Submit a biography of 200 – 300 words something about yourself and your background.
• A scan of an official document showing that you, or both of your parents, were born in Africa
• A submission of between 2,000 to 5,000 words as a Word document of work that has been published and offered for sale. Please send proof of publication.
Awards and Prizes:
- A fiction award of £18,000 will be given to 2- 4 writers over the course of twelve months,
- A nonfiction award of £22,000-27,000 will be paid to 1 -2 writers over the course of eighteen months
- The 20 shortlisted writers will receive a scholarship to attend a fully-funded creative writing workshop in an African country.
At the end of each month scholars must send the Foundation 10,000 new words that they will have written over the course of the month. Scholars are also asked to donate to the MMF 20% of whatever they subsequently receive from the book they write during the period of their Scholarship. This includes revenues as a result of film rights, serialisations or other ancillary revenues arising from the book written during the Scholarship period. These funds will be used to support other promising writers. The 20% return obligation should be considered a debt of honour rather than a legally binding obligation.
Want to read the proposals of previous winners? Here are a few snap shots. .
Proposals have all been culled from the Miles Morland Scholarship Website.
Direct all inquiries to: [email protected]