Masobe Books has indicated the commencement of its annual call for submissions.
Masobe books is an African publisher that deal with any one or more of the plethora of themes that engulf us; stories that resonate, written simply; stories from this side of the world with a universal appeal; something new, something exciting, stories that make your heart race and your hands shake; books that you want to press into the hands of all your friends immediately and stand over them until they’ve finished so you can discuss it together. If you think you have what it takes to be a Masobe Author, now is the time for you to act.
They accept manuscripts from February 1st – March 31st, each year.
Guidelines for Submissions
- To submit your work, please click here and fill the submission form. Please note that only ONE submission per writer is allowed.
- Multiple submissions may lead to disqualification.
- You will be required to attach a one-page synopsis of the work you are submitting in Microsoft Word.
- Please include all major plot points in your synopsis, including spoilers, and especially the end.
- You will be required to attach a sample of the work in question. This should be the first 3 chapters or first 3 stories of your manuscript in Microsoft Word.
- Edit your work and check for originality before sending in. Here are some tips on how to write an award winning novel.
- Send your manuscript sample in double-spaced, indented paragraph, left-justified only. They prefer Courier New font type with a font size of 12pt.
- Your submission will be acknowledged and assessed by their editors.
- They will respond within eight weeks if they are provisionally interested in publishing your work, after which they would ask for more of your material. If after reading the rest of the work and they find it to their taste and cut, they would then present you with an offer.
- Due to the volume of submissions they receive, they may not be able to respond to you immediately. However, you would hear from them within 8 weeks.
Masobe Books is not accepting unsolicited poetry submissions or plays at this time. Unsolicited submissions sent to other Masobe email addresses may be overlooked.
Hard copy submissions will not be acknowledged or returned.