The famous Chicken Soup For The Souls is currently accepting submissions for eight forthcoming books. So if you want to have your story or poem published in this international publication, send them a submission they can’t resist. The first deadline is 30th September, 2018. But don’t panic, there are more opportunities.
Below is a list of titles and their deadlines. Please ensure that your piece is in line with the theme of the book you’d like your work to appear in.
- Grandparents / September 30th, 2018
- Mom Knows Best / September 30th, 2018
- Life Lessons from My Dog / October 31, 2018
- Life Lessons from My Cat / November 30,2018
- Running for Good / December 15th, 2018
- Stories About Angels / December 31st, 2018
- Stories About Miracles / December 31st, 2018
- The Golden Years or Your Second Wind / December 30, 2018
- Length for stories: not more than 1200 words. Employ word economy
- Tell your story in a manner that will evoke emotions from the reader (make the reader cry, laugh, get goose bumps or say “Wow!”)
- The story should start “in the action” and draw in the reader. Do not start your story with an introduction to what you are going to say, or end with a concluding paragraph about what you just said.
- Don’t try fancy moves with tenses. Writing in the present tense about something that happened in the past rarely works.
- Your story must be true. No fiction. But creative non-fiction will do.
There are a few free sample stories on the Chicken Soup Website so you can get inspiration from reading their archives.
If your story or poem gets published, you will be entitled to:
- $200 ($100 for devotionals) one month after publication of the book
- ten free copies of the book your story or poem features in.
- a membership card to the Chicken Soup for the Soul family,
- an exclusive contributors’ communiqué
- opportunity to buy cases of books from them at a discount
Writers typically hear back from the editors within 60 days of the book’s “on sale” date. But Chicken Soup of The Soul never sends rejections. This means that writers who don’t hear back can assume that their works were not accepted for publication.
Ready to submit? Visit the Chicken Soup For The Soul Submissions page.
Not sure what to write about? Click Here for inspiration.