Block Club Chicago is hiring a Managing Editor
Block Club Chicago is looking for a results-driven and organized Managing Editor to lead the award-winning newsroom’s breaking news and neighborhood coverage. Applications are due by March 3.
Block Club Chicago, a nonprofit newsroom focused on Chicago’s diverse neighborhoods, is hiring a Managing Editor to oversee its daily news coverage.
They actively seek an editorial leader who understands what Chicagoans care about, from the “big” (an election) to the “small” (a beloved neighborhood business closing), and can work collaboratively to ensure Block Club’s coverage is accurate, engaging and timely.
This leader will oversee daily editorial meetings, create coverage strategies, make critical editorial decisions quickly yet thoughtfully and ensure all content follows Block Club’s editorial and ethical standards.
The Managing Editor will report to Block Club’s Executive Editors and supervise a team of editors, reporters and freelancers.
How to Apply to Block Club Chicago
- You’re right for the job if:
- You have a proven track record of conceiving, assigning, developing and editing engaging stories for a daily news organization. At least five years editing experience is required.
You have experience managing a remote team and can enthusiastically mentor early- and mid-career reporters and freelancers in a collaborative work environment.
- You have strong news judgment, writing and copy-editing skills. You are familiar with AP style.
- You have experience managing breaking news, can write speedily and have a sharp eye for accuracy and fairness.
- You know Chicago, its neighborhoods and what matters to its people.
- You are passionate about local news, the impact it can have on a community and Block Club’s mission.
You can manage multiple priorities on a daily, weekly and long-term basis.
- Apply by sending an email to [email protected]g, telling them why you’re best positioned for this job along with your resume, examples of coverage you’ve led and three references to jobs (at) blockclubchi (dot) org. Put “Managing Editor Position” in the subject line, please.Deadline To Apply: March 3, 2023
- This position is based in Chicago and requires the person to live in the Chicago area.
- This is a work-from-home/office hybrid role, but the editor should expect several days of in-person work at our Downtown office to work alongside and collaborate with colleagues.
- A commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is required. Block Club Chicago is committed to providing coverage that reflects the communities it covers. They believe a diverse newsroom is essential to achieving that goal. They strongly encourage people of all ages, disability status, economic circumstance, ethnicities, genders, races, religions and sexual orientations to apply for this position.
- Salary: Commensurate on experience, range $100,000-$125,000
- Full benefits (medical, dental, vision), 401K
- 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holidays, paid sick and maternity leave
- Supportive, scrappy, tight-knit editorial staff