Emerging women writers are invited to apply to the amazing BlackBird Books Writers Residency Program for Young African Women.
Blackbird books is an imprint of Jacana Media. And this program is being organized in collaboration with Casa Lorde and Eunice Ngogodo Own Voices Initiative.
If you have been looking for a publisher, you might want to take advantage of the platform that BlackBird Books is currently offering.
Who is eligible to apply for the BlackBird Books Writer’s Residency for Young African Women at Pretoria ?
- Entrants must be from an African country.
- Writers must be aged between 18 and 40 years old.
- Only women writers will be considered.
- The residency is open to writers of all literary genres: novel, poetry, essay, storytelling, narration, theatre, etc.
What kind of support will selected participants get during the residency:
- Accommodation during the writer’s 4-week stay in Brooklyn, Pretoria. The residency will hold in October (2019) and February (2020).
- basic expenses included (toiletries, unlimited Wi-Fi).
- R5,000 (five thousand) stipend for basic expenses
- Private bedroom and private bathroom inside Casa Lorde,
- a collective working space.
- Meeting and working sessions with professional writers from South Africa.
Successful participants will be responsible for their transport costs to Pretoria.
General Rules of the Residency:
- Selected writers must produce a text. However, BlackBird Books is not obligated to publish it.
How to apply?
To apply, entrants must send in the following documents:
- A letter of motivation specifying how you would benefit from your stay at Casa Lorde
- A brief description of the project you plan to develop during the residency
- A writing CV
- A brief biography (500 words)
- Writing sample (published or unpublished)
- Indicate your preferred dates. Choose between October 2019 and February 2020
- All applications must reach the organizers before the 31th August, 2019 deadline.
Where to submit your application materials
- Email your application as an MS Word or PDF attachment to the following email addresses:
- Your subject line should read: Casa Lorde Writer’s Residency application.
Application deadline: 31 August 2019.
Successful applicants will be notified by the first weeks of September, 2019.
You might be interested in: Pitch To Publication 2019 Is Now Open / How To Apply (Awards: Book deal and more)