Baen Books is calling for fantasy short story submissions for their tenth annual Baen Fantasy Adventure Award.
The Baen Fantasy Adventure Award recognizes the best original adventure fantasy short story in the style of fantasy greats like Mercedes Lackey, Larry Correia, Jim Butcher, Charlaine Harris, Elizabeth Moon, Andre Norton, Brandon Sanderson, J.R.R. Tolkien, and David Weber.
Submissions Guidelines for the Baen Fantasy Adventure Award
- Write and submit a short story of no more than 8,000 words. It must be a work of fantasy, though all fantasy genres are open, e.g. epic fantasy, heroic fantasy, sword and sorcery, contemporary fantasy, etc.
- No entry fee. But only one submission per person. To send your best work, ensure it is eloquently written.
- No reprints (i.e. the story must be unpublished).
- All entries must be original unpublished works in English. Plagiarism, poetry, song lyrics, settings and/or characters from published gaming worlds or another author’s works of fiction will not be considered.
- E-mail submissions only. Send entries as .RTF attachments to:
- Please put BFAA SUBMISSION in the subject line when sending a contest entry and BFAA QUESTION in the subject line for questions to the contest administrator.
- Please include the following in the body of your email:
- the title of the work
- the author’s name, address, and telephone number
- an approximate word-count
- The manuscript should be a RTF attachment, in standard manuscript format, and should be titled and numbered on every page, but the author’s name MUST BE DELETED to facilitate fair judging.
- Your submission should also be properly edited.
- Employees of Baen Books and Staff of Dragon Con are not eligible.
- Previous Grand Prize winners are not eligible (previous second and third place winners are eligible).
The GRAND PRIZE winner will be published as the featured story on the Baen Books main website and paid at industry-standard rates for professional story submittals. The author will also receive a handsome engraved award and a prize package containing $500 of free Baen Books.
SECOND place winner will receive a prize package containing $500 of free Baen Books.
THIRD place winner will receive a prize package containing $300 of free Baen Books.
Finalists will be announced no later than July 1st, 2023
Winners will be notified no later than July 21st, 2023. (Only the winners will be notified.)
The winners will be officially announced during the Baen Traveling Roadshow at Dragon Con, which is scheduled from August 31st, 2023, to September 4th, 2023, in Atlanta, Georgia. (We would prefer the winners attend the convention, but it is not required.)
Contest closes for submissions April 30th, 2023 at 11:59pm EDT.
To know more about their submission process and FAQ, visit the Baen Books Website.