One Story, together with the Talve-Goodman family, is now open for submissions for the Adina Talve-Goodman Fellowship. The workshop is open to “an early-career writer of fiction who has not yet published a book and is not currently nor has ever been enrolled in an MFA program.” They look for writers whose writings address “issues and experiences related to inhabiting bodies of difference,” writings that explore what it means to live “in a body marked by difference, oppression, violence, or exclusion; often through categories of race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, class, religion, illness, disability, trauma, migration, displacement, dispossession, or imprisonment.”
According to One Story: “This educational fellowship offers a year-long mentorship on the craft of fiction writing with One Story magazine. Our hope is to give a writer outside of the fold a significant boost in their career.”
The deadline for submission is November 1st, 2019 11:59 pm ET.
What You Will Gain from the Fellowship:
- The winning fellow gets free tuition for all One Story online classes and programming offered in 2020.
- They also get travel stipend ($2,000) and tuition to attend One Story’s July 2020 week-long summer writers’ conference in Brooklyn, which includes craft lectures, an in-person intensive fiction workshop, and panels with literary agents and publishers.
- They are offered a full manuscript review & consultation with One Story Executive Editor Hannah Tinti (story collection or novel in progress up to 150 pages/35,000 words).
Who is Eligible to Apply:
- Writers from anywhere in the world writing about bodies of difference.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years old by 1st of January, 2020.
- There is no entry fee.
How to Apply:
- Submit a fiction writing sample that’s between 3000 and 8000 words.
- A personal statement of between 200 and 500 words.
- Two professional references (no recommendation letters but please provide: name, email, phone).
- A current resume of not more than one page detailing any work or educational experience.
- The deadline for submission is November 1st, 2019 11:59 pm ET.
- The winner will be publicly announced in January 2020.
- Submit here.