Are you a writer or journalist who has never published a book? And you need a space to be allowed to write and have your work seen? Great! Planet new writers’ competition has been launched for 2022!
For over fifty years, Planet has fostered new writers of all backgrounds, who have often gone on to become widely published, and the new competition continues this tradition.
What kind of writing are they looking for?
They would welcome creative and unconventional ways of exploring the essay form as well as a more traditional style. Planet features writing which is in-depth, yet sufficiently accessible for a non-specialist readership. What they are looking for most are lively, well-crafted essays which leave a lasting impression. They would especially welcome submissions that relate to Wales in some way, however obliquely.
In order to maintain strict anonymity, they will not be able to answer any queries relating to the content of potential submissions.
- There is no age restriction
- If you have been published before online, in a magazine, or even in an anthology – or perhaps not – as long as you have never published a book under your name they would be delighted to read your work.
- There is no restriction on nationality
- The Deadline for entry is 1st of September, 2022.
- To be eligible as a new writer you would need to have never published a book or play under your own name (single or multi-authored). You would not be eligible if you had published a book under a pseudonym. If you have published work online, in a magazine or as part of a book anthology (where you are not an anthology editor) you would still be eligible. If you have self-published a book you would still be eligible.
- Submission Word-count: 1,500 – 2,000 words
- In order to submit your article anonymously, please email your article as an attachment to [email protected] file format. They accept Microsoft Word and Open Office.
Please do not give your name or contact details on the attachment.
- In your covering email, please give your full name, the email address you would like to contacted at should you win and an alternative contact (phone number or address).
- Submissions will be printed off for the Panel, so your name won’t be disclosed within the electronic file..
- While they would welcome submissions on the topic of Welsh-language culture or politics, as in the magazine as a whole, all submissions should be in English.
- While they would welcome approaches that bring in creative non-fiction elements like memoir, entries must be totally non-fictional.
- All entries should be submitted completely anonymously. In order to maintain strict anonymity, they will not be able to answer any queries relating to the content of potential submissions.
- The judges’ decision is final.
- Please note that Planet reserves the right not to award the prize.
- The winning submissions will be edited along the same standards as other material planet publish.
- Entries must not have been published elsewhere.
- A year’s subscription or renewal
- A range of 6 books* published by Planet
- Publication of the winning essay in the November 2022 issue of Planet, and on Planet Extra 3 months later
- Runners-up will receive a year’s subscription or renewal
Goodluck! Also, if you are interested in order forms of article writing, it is advisable that you check more writing competitions out!