Have you heard of the On The Premises Short Story Prize? Goodness! Where have you been?
Anyway, this prestigious prize is awarded once every quarter to the best pieces of short fiction entered by a committed short story writer. This writing contest is free to enter. This time, writers are expected to write on the theme, HIDDEN.
For this contest, write a creative, compelling, well-crafted story between 1,000 and 5,000 words long in which someone or something of importance to the story is hidden in some way from at least one important character. It is entirely up to you whether the person/place/thing that is hidden is ever found/revealed/unhidden.
They do not want children’s fiction, exploitative sex, graphical horror, and/or stories that are obvious parodies of existing fictional worlds/characters created by other authors (aka fanfic.
- Word Count: Stories must be within 1000 – 5000 words
- Stories must reflect the theme Hidden
- This contest is judged blind so writers must remember to remove every identifying information from their submissions. Your story should contain only the title. Remove your name from the file name as well.
- Write a brief bio in the space provided for the cover letter
- Only one entry per writer is allowed.
- Deadline: 11:59 PM Eastern US time, THURSDAY, February 28, 2019.
- To submit your entry, use the On The Premises Submissions page
- Prizes: $25 for first place,
- $15 for second,
- $10 for third.
- Honorable mentions get published but won’t get any monetary rewards.
To improve your chances of winning, choose a catchy plot line and write about vulnerable characters.
Forward all inquiries to [email protected]
Photo by Suad Kamardeen on Unsplash