Learning to Be Human Short Stories is calling for submissions of
Science Fiction, Folklore and Myth
What is Learning to be Human Short Stories all about? Well, Machine learning, AI and large language models tell us that the future is with us now. This thrilling collection of science fiction stories gathers the fears and opportunities prompted by responsive chatbots to reveal the struggles of the Machine Age, affecting both humanity and artificial intelligence. With stories from open submissions and classic tales we examine the interplay between automation, humankind, and what it is to be human. The stories encourage us to think of human and machine development in the same terms: what is it like to emerge from childhood as an adult? What was it like to be at the mercy of elemental forces in ancient times? Are we truly in control of our climate now? Are machines the future, or a dangerous distraction? Are thinking machines inevitable?
There’s so much to explore in this fascinating new book, due for publication January 2024.
Submissions should be made to [email protected]
- Multiple submissions are accepted but must be in using different emails.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine but you must have the right to license your story in an anthology.
- The organizers will aim to read each story and confirm its status within 4 months of the submission deadline.
- Submission does not imply the right to publication. Each story will be read and assessed by the selection panel.
- Let them know in your submission email whether your story would be a reprint or is currently unpublished.
- Submissions must use the dedicated email address.
- The subject line of the email must be the story title.
- The file with the story must be attached to the email (.docx, .doc or .rtf format).
- The name of the file must match the name in the subject line.
- If submitting more than one story, please submit one story per email.
- The file name of the submission must be the story name only.
- Please just use spaces between words in the title (not _ or – ).
- If the story name starts with A or The, please use it at the beginning of the file name.
- If you’d like to add some details about the story, confirm if it’s new or a reprint, or add a short bio of yourself, please add to the body of the email not as an attachment.
- Story length is most likely to be successful at 2000-4000 words, but they will still read stories slightly outside this range.
- If submitting a story that has recently been submitted to us for consideration to another anthology, please state this in the submission email.
- Deadline for submissions is 2nd July 2023
- For accepted stories they pay Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) rates of 8 cents/6 pence per word for original stories, 6 cents/4 pence for reprints.
- Payment for the chosen stories will be made within 30 days of the final advertised publication date although some may be paid earlier than that.
- Chosen stories would also be part of the anthology!