Wergle Flomp Humor Poetry Contest, now in its 20th year, seeks today’s best humor poems.
Eligibility For Wergle Flomp Humor Poetry Contest
- No fee is required for entry.
Published or unpublished works are acceptable.
- No restriction on age of author.
- Authors from all countries eligible except Syria, Iran, North Korea, and Crimea (due to US government restrictions).
- Length limit of the poem should be 250 lines maximum.
- The poem you submit should be in English. Inspired gibberish is also accepted (example).
- Please click here to submit.
- Submit one humor poem. This poem should be your own original work.
- You may submit the same poem simultaneously to this contest and to others, and you may submit a poem that has been published or won prizes elsewhere. (However, please do not submit a poem that has previously received recognition at Winning Writers.)
Prizes and Publication
- First Prize, $2,000 cash plus a two-year gift certificate from our co-sponsor, Duotrope (a $100 value)
- Second Prize, $500 cash
Ten Honorable Mentions, $100 cash each.
- All entries that win cash prizes will be published on the Winning Writers website and announced in the Winning Writers Newsletter (circulation 50,000+).
- Entries are judged anonymously. Please omit your name and all identifying information from your entry.
- Do not include a cover letter. Please also omit any publishing credits from your entry.
- All the information we need is collected on our online entry form.
Your privacy is assured. The organizers of the contest will not rent your information to third parties.
- If your entry wins any cash prize, you agree to give Winning Writers a nonexclusive license to publish your work online.
- This includes possible publication in one or more ebooks, with attribution.
- From time to time, selected winning entries may also be published in printed collections. If you win a prize and we wish to publish your work in print, we will ask you for permission to include your entry in one of these books.
- You may accept or decline this invitation as you choose.
- Your entry will not be published in print without your consent, and you retain all other rights.
- You are free, for example, to publish your work in print or online elsewhere, and to enter it into other contests, whether or not you win a prize in this contest.
Deadline for Submission is April 1, 2021.
Who Is Wergle Flomp?
Wergle Flomp is a creation of poet David Taub. Mr. Taub submitted “Flubblebop” to poetry.com’s former (and not very selective) contest to see what would happen.
If you have questions, please email the contest administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.