The Commonwealth Foundation call for submissions for the Adda. This an edition engages with the Commonwealth Charter on Freedom of Expression.
The commonwealth foundation is committed to peaceful, open dialogue and the free flow of information, including through a free and responsible media, and to enhancing democratic traditions and strengthening democratic processes.
Eligibility for The Adda Call for Submission
- Writers from Commonwealth countries are invited to submit poetry (up to 2 poems, 5 pages maximum), literary non-fiction (2000-5000 words), short fiction (2000-5000 words) and graphic fiction (finished panels or samples of illustrations) that are in conversation with the Commonwealth’s commitment to freedom of expression.
- This could include freedom to express your beliefs, sexuality or politics.
- While the call of submission by Adda is open to all Commonwealth citizens, the foundation encourages submissions from young people and writers from small and vulnerable Member States.
- A selection of up to 24 pieces will be made by a team of editors. They will be published on adda between February and June 2022.
We encourage writers to familiarise themselves with the work published on adda. Entries by voices, or on topics, that may receive less attention from other publications, are welcomed.
Only one submission per writer will be considered. However, you can send the same entry to both the 2022 Commonwealth Short Story Prize and the adda Call for Submissions. If your piece has been published in another language, it will only be accepted in the English translation. Please inform the foundation immediately if you have submitted the work elsewhere and if it has been accepted for publication. Please note that previously published work, whether in print or online, in whole or in part, will not be considered.
They aim to make decisions on entries and contact entrants by the end of February 2022. They are unfortunately unable to provide feedback. If you have any questions or technical issues with your submission, please email [email protected]
- Submit your entry in the submission form here. Select only one of the four categories: poetry, literary non-fiction, short fiction or graphic fiction, and send in a summary of your past writing experience (300 words maximum).
- Submissions are read anonymously. Please do not include any contact or personal information in the files that you submit.
- Formatting: double-space for prose and single-space for poetry, Arial 12-point font. Please submit your work in a Word doc. Pdf is accepted only for graphic fiction.
- Deadline: 05 December 2021, 23:59, in your time zone.