Isele Magazine is currently seeking submissions of the best fiction, poetry, essays, art and photography. A new literary magazine, Isele has already published works by Arinze Ifeakandu, Ope Adedeji, E.C. Osondu, Esther Ifesinachi, Chika Unigwe, and Logan February, as well as an interview with Pemi Aguda.
There is no deadline, submissions are reviewed on a rolling basis.
About Isele Magazine:
Founded by Ukamaka Olisakwe, author of the forthcoming novel, Ogadinma, Isele Magazine is a literary magazine that seeks to present “fresh and dynamic voices” who “hold a mirror to our society, who challenge conventional expectations about ways of being, how to be, and who decides who should be.”
Isele will publish a monthly web magazine, a guest-edited quarterly series, a yearly print magazine, and a weekly blog that will bring readers the best of conversations going on in the literary space.
Isele Magazine is edited by an amazing group of editors. Some of them are: Ukamaka Olisakwe, Africa 39-named writer and author of Ogadinma; Saddiq Dzukogi, Brunel-shortlisted poet and author of the forthcoming full-length collection, Your Crib, My Qibla; Kenechi Uzor, founder and CEO of Iskanchi Press and Mag, and a 2020 Tin House Scholar; Megan Ross, recipient of the Brittle Paper Award for fiction (2017) and author of the full-length poetry collection, Milk Fever; and others.
To Better Your Submission:
Check out this article on how to write good poetry from Kaveh Akbar, and these reviews and recommended stories here and here, and these tips from TJ Benson on how to write good short stories, as well as this interview with six of the best Nigerian poets writing today.
How to Submit:
- Submit an essay or short story that is no longer than 8000 words.
- Or up to 6 pages of poetry.
- Submitted work must not have previously appeared elsewhere, either in print or online.
- Submitted work must be in English.
- Simultaneous submissions will be considered.
- Multiple submissions won’t be considered.
- Work newly translated into English will be considered.
- Your prose submission should be double-spaced.
- Format: 12 pt, Times New Roman.
- Your poems should be submitted in a single document.
- Your submission should be accompanied by a cover letter.
- Submit your fiction to [email protected].
- Submit your poetry to [email protected].
- Submit your nonfiction to [email protected].
- Submit your art and photography (as PNG attachments) to [email protected].
- If you’d like to pitch an interesting interview or you’ve got a “witty and timely” response to a trending news, pitch here: [email protected].
- All submissions will be responded to within three months.
- Isele pays a modest token for accepted work.